Sunday 11 December 2011

Is it just me, or is this taking forever?

Tub A - Lettuce & Green Onion

Tub B - Lettuce, Radishes & Carrots

Tub C - Lettuce and Carrots

Mint. If you look REALLY close you can see tiny sprouts.

Leek. Growing new roots and more leaf.

Maybe it's just me but I kinda figured the sprouts would have stopped looking like sprouts and started looking like plants by now.

About the new addition, I was chopping some leeks to put in an omelet and I left a nice big chunk with the root end to see if I could sprout some new roots. Since the mint didn't seem to be sprouting I figured I'd just plant it in that tub... well now the mint's showing activity and I don't want to disturb it so... I need to find another tub I guess. :)

2 comments:

  1. How hot is your house? I always have a problem as I keep my house cool to save on heating. But then my seeds don't germinate as fast. If it is cool inside then you can put a heating pad under the seedlings. (I've never done that but may try it for next year).

    It's always so much slower when I do them inside. I have no patience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew the germination might take a while because our house sits between 68-73F lately... but they sprouted fast(except the mint and one kind of lettuce. It's the after sprouting time that's confusing me.

    My info on radishes say they only take 4 weeks from seed to harvest... but these radishes have been hovering in sprout-dom for two weeks. I kinda thought they'd be more radish-y by now. and the lettuces that sprouted over a week ago, still look sprout-y instead of leaf-y. I considered the low temps and low light of indoor planting... but lettuce is a cold crop it's supposed to do better in less sun and cooler conditions.

    My main theory is that the soil itself isn't rich enough. If so that should be fixed in spring before we plant anything outside.

    ReplyDelete