Thursday 8 December 2011

See All the Green?

Yay! Except... no, not really.


All those tall grass looking things are rye. Apparently when I scooped dirt from the garden I brought in some rye seeds too. The teeny-tiny sprouts are what I planted, and the one lettuce has yet to sprout at all. The tall "sprout-looking" sprouts(aka "hairy roots") I assume are the radishes because they're the fastest growing thing I planted.

The poor mint hasn't shown any spouts either (I planted a few seeds dead center). Looks like maybe they were too old. I've snipped at the soil every sprout that I'm over 95% sure is rye. In a  few days we'll see how the rest are doing.

2 comments:

  1. It is possible to sterilize small batches of soil in your microwave or oven. I too have had my share of renegade sprouts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. Hadn't thought of it at the time.

    In all honesty I should have just *shudder* bought dirt.

    Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against paying good money for soil amendments such as manure, perilite/vermiculite, or peatmoss but the idea of paying for something that I have at home already.... ick. (It's one of the reasons I don't buy bottled water)

    For the seeds being started indoors before going out I'll probably use sraight-up perilite/vermiculite, or half & half with some store bought soil. It's the safest, cleanest, best-at-avoiding-soggy-roots-or-weeds option I can think of.

    ReplyDelete